Today, after many false starts, I finally got my seeds started indoors! I’ve had most of my seeds for weeks. I’ve been saving egg cartons for months, and I still had soil left from last year. So, “What was your problem?” you ask. Well, life kept getting in the way: cooking and laundry and Easter and kids fighting and not knowing where my trowel was (Dad found it in the garage)…
Last night, Jim said, “You should stay home from the bookstore and get your seeds planted tomorrow. Your dad can do without you for one day.” I grudgingly agreed…it is technically a holiday Monday, although not a statutory one.
I got up about 8:30, and put on my “holy pants” (the ones where one of the belt loops has been ripped out from me hauling the pants up over my big butt by grabbing on to the belt loop!). An old sweatshirt completed my gardening outfit. I’m sure my landlord will come to collect the rent some time today…it’s always nice to look one’s best for someone one see four times a year!
I took my carefully-prepared egg cartons (lids cut off and slid underneath to provide extra stability) out the back kitchen door to the step where my bag of planting soil awaited. It was beautiful and warm outside. Using my trowel, I began to scoop earth into each cup of the egg cartons, mounding the dirt knowing time would pack it down soon. A solitary doe in the yard watched my progress between bites of grass. Our dog, Jake, whined anxiously at the other back door: “Mommy…I’m here! You seem to have forgotten me!”
I filled 12 egg cartons, and three large outdoor planters with soil. I planted all the things that needed to be started indoors: nine varieties of tomatoes (including light bulb tomatoes!), bunching onions, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, Chinese cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, and twelve kinds of flowers. In the big planters, I put five varieties of lettuce, Swiss chard and beet greens, chives, sage, thyme, basil, oregano, and parsley. These containers will sit on our deck and hopefully provide a constant source of fresh greens and herbs.
I used a Sharpie and popsicle sticks to show where each crop was planted (writing the variety on the back of the stick).
I’m looking forward to caring for the new seedlings in the coming weeks…and hoping Jake will stay out of them!