I’m back at the bookstore today after our first 11 days of vacation…here’s what I learned:
1. Laundry and dirty dishes never take a vacation…in fact, when everybody stays home, their volume increases! Wishing clothes would fold themselves doesn’t work.
2. Cleaning under furniture once in a while is a good thing…on a hunt for the satellite remote (it has to go back to the company in a couple of weeks because we’re changing over to fibre-op TV), we moved our couch. Lurking underneath were bowls, spoons, forks, plates, assorted food wrappers, pencils, pens, dozens of ponytail holders, and a mystery object, which we later identified as a petrified clementine which resembled an oddly-shaped peach pit. All together now: EWWW! Oh, and we didn’t find the remote there either…
3. Our dog hates the vacuum cleaner…I think he thinks it’s some sort of loud animal. He barks and whines and tries to bite it…we have to put him out on the deck to use it.
4. Sleeping in never makes me feel more rested…it just makes me feel guilty that I’m not accomplishing more (I think I’m the only one in my family who feels this way).
5. Wallpaper is now pretty much obsolete…Jim had to go all over town to find some…it was on sale for $5/roll because the store was selling out of it. It’s just as frustrating to put up now as it was 25 years ago (which is why I let him do it himself!).
6. I’m grateful for what we have after finishing the book “The Glass Castle” by Jeannette Walls. This was our Book Club choice…it was a tough read because I was so outraged that no one did anything to help Jeannette and her siblings! It’s amazing to me that they all survived with their sanity intact.
7. Small things excite me – finding out we had a cherry tree and blueberry bushes in our yard after living there a year-and-a-half was the highlight of my week (see http://writerwoman61.wordpress.com/2010/07/20/surprise-surprise-surprise/)!
8. The number of times Hope has to pee on a road-trip is roughly the number of miles divided by 25. There’s Gravol for carsickness…I wish they’d come up with something for “travelbladder.”
9. I’m loving the headphones Jim got me for my birthday…I can plug them into the computer, and listen to CBC “Concerts on Demand” while I work on my blog…Jim and Anna got a kick out of watching me “get down” to Garrett Mason and Colin Linden’s rendition of John Lee Hooker’s “Boom Boom” yesterday (I think they were both giggling hysterically) http://bit.ly/c0dJcL .
10. Our hummingbirds are fearless…one buzzed my head while I was picking beans in the garden the other day…they like the nectar from the scarlet runner bean blossoms!
11. Kids “can’t hear” you when you ask them to do chores, but announce that food is ready, and they’ll knock you over getting to the table!
12. I like my regular routine…as much as I love the kids, I really don’t want to be home with them every day! I was happy to get up at 5:30 this morning and come to the bookstore, even though I have a ton of work to do.
Next vacation is in mid-August…