Here’s a list of my 10 favourite sounds:
1. My children’s first cries…just the ones when they were born – after that, it gets old!
2. My nine-month-old granddaughter’s first attempts at real words: Mama, Dad, up, cat (still working on the “c” sound), hat.
3. Baby laughs.
4. Birds singing outside the window in the morning. Jim’s collection of bird feeders has attracted all kinds of beautiful voices from nature.
5. Crickets at night. That reminds me of my childhood.
6. Trains…I’ve almost always lived near train tracks. I find the sound of a train’s wheels on the rails rhythmic and relaxing…not crazy about whistles though…
7. Jim’s snoring. That sounds strange, but it’s comforting to know he’s there beside me (the poor man wears headphones to bed to drown out my buzzsaw-like noises – all the women in my family are champion snorers!).
8. The sound of the kettle as it first comes to a boil…it means my first cup of tea will be ready soon.
9. Jake’s barking when we arrive home after work…he’s always happy to see us!
10. Silence. Having a few moments of silence to collect my scattered thoughts is a luxury I don’t have very often.