Here are some random things from this week:
1. Picking tomatoes in the dark is really hard (note to self: get someone else to make dinner on nights I get home late so that I can get out to the garden before the light is gone!). I don’t see well even when it’s light out…I have two green tomatoes sitting on the counter that I mistook for ripe ones. I also came in with my hair full of sunflower bits (they’re beside the tomatoes, and are seriously in my way!).
2. I need to get out and pick some squash…they’re everywhere now (note to self #2: send pumpkins to Omawarisan at Blurt, because he loves them so much!). I also need to process the last of the green beans, and the tomatoes and zucchini I’ve already picked. Maybe the Freezer Fairy will come and clean out my freezer so that I’ll have some room to put stuff in it!
3. We had our first beets from the garden this week…yummy! They were a bit warty-looking, but they tasted good!
4. There’s nothing sexier than a man holding a baby.
5. Cows experience their milk “letting down” at inappropriate times, just like nursing mothers…my children were amused (and a little horrified) to see streams of milk coming from several cows’ teats just before milking time at Open Farm Day.
6. We may have to invest in some knee pads for Anna…she comes home from cheerleading practice with her knees all bruised up. She’s also bummed out because they can’t do any stunting or tumbling while the union representing Teacher’s Assistants and School Librarians is on a “job action.” Their team’s faculty advisor is the librarian at the school. With the New Brunswick provincial election coming up this weekend, it may be a while before they get things sorted out. Come on, you guys! There are a lot of families with children with learning disabilities who depend on TA’s!
7. Some schools believe in overkill…Hope was late to her first class yesterday because her inconsiderate locker neighbour was in her way. The school left identical messages on the home phone, cell phone, and the bookstore phone to let me know my kid was late! Thanks for telling me…I’ll get on with my life now…
8. I learned yesterday that, according to Root Beer World, there have been more than 2500 kinds of root beer produced (assuming that many of the brands are now defunct). Root beer is pretty much the only kind of pop I drink, and I don’t have it very often. Root beer floats are awesome!
9. The producers of Big Bang Theory have sadly disappointed me with their new sitcom, Mike and Molly. Jim and I watched the premiere episode last night. It was predictable, mean-spirited, and unfunny. I will not watch it again. On a related note, the new season of Two and a Half Men started last night as well…it is back to its pre-Chelsea standards (I’m glad she’s gone!)…I laughed out loud several times! Ryan Stiles rocks, and Jon Cryer was his usual deadpan self.
10. Since I gave out the Bloody Brilliant Blogger’s Award a little while ago, I have enjoyed watching my blogging buddies discover each other. I love the fact that I was instrumental in turning somebody else on to someone whose writing I enjoy. I am, however, missing more than a few “homework assignments”…am watching for the awardees to post their own lists of “Bloody Brilliant Bloggers” so that the Award gets passed on. Looking forward to it!