Today is Thanksgiving in the United States, where I was born and spent the first eight years of my life. We are not celebrating Thanksgiving in Canada today (we had it last month), but with all the disturbing things going on in the world right now, it makes me think of the things in my life I am thankful for. Here they are, in the order I’ve thought of them:
1. A Healthy Love Relationship. I am thankful to have found a man who loves me, works hard, is an amazing father, and would rather cut off his right arm than hurt me or our children.
2. A Loving Family. We definitely argue, but I don’t know what we would do without each other.
3. Clean Water. We can turn on a tap and have an almost unlimited amount of clean water!
4. Clean Air. The air that we breathe is very clean, and smells good most of the time.
5. Plentiful, Fresh Food. We can go to a store and buy nearly anything we need, or grow it ourselves in uncontaminated soil. We have a refrigerator and a freezer to help keep the food preserved. We have a stove and a microwave to cook the food.
6. A Roof Over Our Heads. I can’t imagine not having a warm, clean place to come home to.
7. Freedom of Movement. I can go where I want, when I want to, without being afraid.
8. Freedom of Speech. I have the right to say, write, read, or listen to almost anything without fear of repercussion (within libel/slander laws).
9. The Right to Vote. Thanks to some outspoken women who came before me, women in Canada have had the right to vote in federal elections since 1919.
10. The Ability to Read and Write. I could not live without books, and writing keeps me sane. The ability to read allows me to learn new things every day.
11. Government-Sponsored Health Care. If my child is ill, I can take her to the doctor without worrying about how to afford the treatment.
12. Music. Good music makes me feel a huge range of emotions…there are so many talented musicians in our world.
Please take a moment to think about all the simple things you are thankful for…
I hope that all my family and friends have a wonderful holiday! Thank you for taking time from your busy day to visit me in Hammond River!