It’s been a busy week in Hammond River:
1. A week ago Friday, Hope and I were on the way to Giant Tiger to get presents for Dad for his birthday. As we approached a pedestrian light, Hope observed that it should be the type that makes a noise, “You know, for the deaf people.”
I looked at her and asked, “What did you just say?”
“Oh!” she said sheepishly. “I meant blind people!”
2. We celebrated Kaylee’s 25th and Dad’s 74th birthday with a combo party last Sunday. The sun even made an appearance! We enjoyed sitting out on our deck for a while, although I was dismayed to find that some small animal had chewed a hole in the seat of one of our deck chairs that we just bought last summer!
For dessert, we had pound cake (thanks for the recipe, Lenore!), and chocolate cinnamon cake:
3. Seedlings. Monday was a holiday for Canadians: Queen Victoria’s birthday. I took advantage of the lack of precipitation to finally get seeds planted in the garden! My seedlings, however, are still hanging out in my back kitchen, waiting to go outside. It’s supposed to be decent weather tomorrow, so I’m planning to stay home from the bookstore and get them transplanted!
4. Saling. Saturday was the Annual Quispamsis Yard Sale. It was misty, but not really raining, so Jim and I and the girls piled into the van, equipped with our highlighted map…we actually got away from the house within 15 minutes of the time we’d planned to leave! Pickings were fairly slim compared to the first year we went, but I managed to get about $250 worth of books for less than $20! Jim got a new leather wallet still in the box for a dollar (his old one is like George’s on Seinfeld!), 5 sets of Magnetix building toys for $1 each (which will be kept well out of Elise’s reach!), and a mitre saw for $15. This was our best buy though:
This china cabinet was sitting with a sign that said “Make an Offer” on it…it was filthy…I fell in love immediately! After Jim saw me get all excited about it (and some discussion about where we would put it), he made an offer (I told him it could be my birthday present)! After a little dickering, he got the cabinet as well as a bright green desk and chair for Brianna for $120. Hope and I cleaned up the cabinet last night, and it already looks way better than it did when we bought it! I’m planning to put my mom’s collections and some of my other family knickknacks in it.
5. Streamers. I spent yesterday catching up on laundry, seven loads to be exact…I should have it all folded by Tuesday! Dad worked on deerproofing the garden. He installed the poles we got a few weeks ago, and strung them with string and streamers. I hope it will do the trick!
6. School Picture Day. Wednesday, June 1st has been designated as School Picture Day by Clay Morgan at EduClaytion. I will be participating along with my friends Leanne Shirtliffe (Ironic Mom), possibly Chase McFadden (Some Species Eat Their Young) and a bunch of other folks. You’re invited too…just dig out your yearbook photos, write a little post, and then link up on Wednesday!