Tuesday has never been my favourite day, but it’s nearly 11 a.m., and it’s actually been not bad (so far…touching wooden desk as I speak!).
Here are some random things from my last few days:
1. Snow/Whirlwind Shopping Trip/Music on Saturday. We woke up to snow on the ground on Saturday…not much by New Brunswick standards. In what was probably record time for shopping with the girls, we managed to pick up winter boots for Hope on Saturday at Old Navy for $19…WIN! We were rushing to drop off Anna and Brianna at the new Harry Potter movie, and then dropped Hope off at her dad’s to watch the Santa Claus Parade in (uptown) Saint John. Her dad is one of the judges, so the kids get to watch the parade from the comfort of a Saint John City Transit bus. This year, the head judge brought them pizza and pop. Jim and I stopped for groceries (sans kids) on the way home…we hadn’t done a major food run since Jim’s surgery! We spent $165…nobody had better look in the cupboard and complain “There’s nothing to eat!” There will be two more parades next weekend: the Lancaster Santa Claus Parade (West Saint John), which Anna’s cheerleading team is in, and the Kennebecasis Valley Santa Claus Parade (Quispamsis), which Hope’s cheerleading team is in. I finally had the chance to listen to a Richard Shindell album I’d ordered (Courier), thanks to my friend Hippie Cahier. It was so amazing, I listened to it twice in a row!
2. Laundry/Migraine on Sunday. Four loads of laundry…first migraine for a while! Family ate pot pies/fries for supper instead of planned lasagna. I ate Multi-Grain Cheerios and Saltines (neither of which stayed down). Opted to PVR Amazing Race instead of watch it (you know I’m sick when that happens!).
3. Jim’s Sense of Smell Came Back. Since his sinus surgery almost two weeks ago, Jim hasn’t been able to smell much. Anna was scrambling eggs Sunday morning, and he actually caught a whiff of them! He’s also happy to be able to blow his nose again!
4. Relaxing Monday. Worried that the migraine might come back, I stayed home from the bookstore on Monday. Played on the computer and made lasagna (with homemade spaghetti sauce from our garden tomatoes) while Jim slept through old Newhart and M*A*S*H episodes in the La-Z-Boy. Dad and Anna got home late – they had seen a car hit a deer (one of a group of three), but the deer got up and ran off after doing a little cartwheel. The man’s car was slightly damaged. We watched Amazing Race after supper, and were happy to see Chad and Stephanie go…I give their marriage a year…tops! Two and a Half Men came on at ten…I’ve been underwhelmed with the show this season…the writing was a lot funnier when the dirty jokes were subtle. I used to let the kids watch it, knowing they probably wouldn’t pick up on the raunchy parts, but now, it’s just “in-your-face” crass!
5. Weird Dreams. I dreamed of running again last night (for somebody who doesn’t run, I dream about it a lot!). I also dreamed that I was in town with no purse, no wallet and no phone. Then I ran into another running man who was “having a low” (Jim is Type 1 Diabetic – he has “low” sugars a lot in the night), so I followed this poor guy into the men’s room to try to help him. Realizing I’d wandered into forbidden territory, I came out and informed the staff in the snack bar that there was a man “having a low” in the men’s room, and that they should get him some juice. Then I used some Chinese girl’s (I think she was a stripper) Hello Kitty cell phone to call home to ask Jim to come and get me…but not before we went to my old apartment in Moncton to deliver a blanket(?) to a bad mother who was letting her two toddlers run around outside by themselves. While we were there, my brother wandered in (having made the 1000-mile drive from Ontario)…my aunt from Florida was already there! If I’m going to have weird dreams, I do it right (I think it might have been the hot dogs we ate for lunch)!
6. Stats. Opening up a friend’s blog post this morning, she was complaining that she had gotten some 1500 hits this past WEEK by searchers using the search term “turkey” or variations thereof…I think I’m going to tag all my posts “turkey” this week!
7. Airline Security. A friend on Facebook posted a link to a note written by someone else about the recent airline security “personal” searches, and how ridiculous they were. It was quite well-written – the poster declared that he would choose the “patdown” search when he flew home for Thanksgiving. I got a chuckle from a commenter who suggested that he “Wear a quilt [my italics]. Go commando.” Yeah…that will make it better…
8. Perfect Stranger Chills in PA. Another friend on Facebook lives in Pennsylvania, and celebrated her 40th birthday this past weekend. She was at the ice cream machine at the Old Country Buffet in Scranton at the same time as Bronson Pinchot (Balki on Perfect Strangers). I wonder if she did the “dance of joy”?
9. More Shopping With Teenagers Tonight. Jim is bringing Hope and Brianna with him tonight when he comes to pick up Anna and I…Hope needs a new winter coat (she’s grown out of last year’s), and both Bri and Anna need new boots (Anna’s $90 ones from last year are totalled!). I’m hoping that my MasterCard escapes with cuts and bruises rather than a skull fracture…
10. Holiday Decorating. I have friends who have already decorated their homes for Christmas…I personally think they’re deranged! I saw a couple of Target ads for Black Friday last night…nuts!