I know I’m a little early for this…most men will probably be hitting the stores on Sunday. Forget lingerie that requires an instruction manual to put on…I would like to offer this list of ideas for inexpensive gifts for the mother in your life:
1. Let her sleep in on the weekend. Feed the kids breakfast. Get them dressed. Keep them quiet. For bonus points: bring her breakfast in bed after two hours.
2. Pick up your socks. Put them in a hamper near you. If you’re feeling really generous, do a load or two of laundry (in the correct temperature), fold it, and put it away.
3. Empty the dishwasher. Put the dishes in the correct places in the kitchen. Don’t leave the ramekins on the counter and claim you don’t know where to put them.
4. Her own snacks. Does she love Ruffles Sour Cream and Bacon potato chips? Buy a bag just for her, and hide it from the kids.
5. An hour of uninterrupted bathroom time. Shaving one’s legs in the shower just isn’t practical sometimes. Threaten to subject the kids to watching golf on TV if they disturb her!
6. Fuzzy slippers. Check her shoes to make sure you buy the right size. Most of us have cold feet in the winter. If her toes are warm, she’ll be a happy girl.
7. Make dinner for the family. Try to find the ingredients/dishes you need yourself. It doesn’t matter what it is (with some obvious exceptions)…food always tastes better when someone else cooks it.
8. Quiet time. Take the kids out for a minimum of two hours, and leave her with the house to herself. Give her a call when you’re on the way home, so she can avoid the kids catching her in mid-dance move.
9. Movie night at home. Let her pick a movie she wants to see and watch it with her. Bite your lip if you’re tempted to complain about the lack of ninjas or machine guns. Agree with her when she comments on how attractive the male lead is.
10. Kiss her and tell her you love her. Cup her face in your hands and look deep into her eyes when you say it.
There’s nothing to keep you from doing the whole list if you want to…I’m sure your actions will be rewarded! If you print out this post and save it, these suggestions work equally well for Mother’s Day!