Here is a random collection of things I’ve heard people say this week:
1. “Rain, Rain, Go Away!” That was me. I didn’t really say it…I thought it. It’s been raining since Thursday, and isn’t supposed to stop until next Thursday. I didn’t go to Book Club on Friday night because of it…driving on the highway at night in heavy rain is dangerous! As of Sunday morning, we’ve already had about 100 mm, with at least 50 more predicted today. At least the man with the cows down the road kept them in this weekend to prevent a repeat of this:
2. “Freezer.” I was sitting at the bookstore on Thursday afternoon, when I heard the front door open, and someone come in. He walked into the room where my desk is (the bookstore has four rooms), and said, “Freezer,” just like that. Freezer??!! You do know you’re in a bookstore, don’t you, buddy? It was after I looked out the window and saw his truck that I put two and two together…it had the name of a local used appliance company on the side. Coming in that morning, we’d noticed a mini-fridge box that our landlord had put out for the garbage…I guessed these guys had come for the old one, and directed them upstairs.
3. “I got my licence!” That’s what Hope said when we picked her up at school after completing the last week of her Red Cross Babysitting training on Thursday. She got right to work when we got home making up business cards and flyers, and put an ad on Kijiji.
4. “I stuck a straw up my nose!” That was Anna. She was coming into the bookstore after school on Friday, after waiting for the bus for 20 minutes in the pelting rain. She tripped coming up the store steps, and managed to stick the straw from her Booster Juice smoothie up her nose…at least she didn’t fall!
5. “I got my report card!” This was Brianna, as she proudly held the paper out for me to see. “Geez, only 100% in French?” I teased. Bri said she was “basically the teacher’s pet.” Works for me.
6. “I got the job, I think.” That was Hope after coming back from an interview with a neighbouring family with a five-year-old autistic boy. Jim dropped her off, and she called us 20 minutes later to tell us she was finished. Pretty grown up to have your first job interview at twelve. The family was looking for someone to babysit the little guy for occasional evenings out, and Professional Development days at school. Hope is to go over for training next week. She thought it was neat that both she and the little boy are lactose-intolerant.
7. “I’m on the team!” Brianna announced this in the car when we picked her and Devin up on Saturday at their mom’s house. Three girls, three cheerleading teams at three different schools…seven practices a week on four different days. Bonus: Devin’s on the Tech Crew at his school, which is at least another couple of nights a week. We may have to install a coffeemaker in the van…
8. “Oh, my giant blue head!” Will Ferrell as Megamind. We took the kids to see the movie in 3-D on Saturday afternoon. We all loved it! The soundtrack was awesome. Tina Fey was great as the voice of Roxanne Ritchie. Nice twist ending too…I like it when a movie isn’t predictable!
9. “Does anybody know where the extra meatballs are?” One of the waitresses at Vito’s said this, as we were eating our meal after the movie. My first thought was, “Shouldn’t she be looking for them in the kitchen?” Then it dawned on me that she was standing in front of the computerized cash register. “Ohhh…she’s trying to find it on the screen,” I thought.
10. “I found your wine!” Another waitress at Vito’s. Unfortunately, she wasn’t heading for my table (how do you lose a glass of wine, anyway?).